Links with the University of York Enhances our Contract Research and Development
Research and Development Services
York EMC Services' Consultant Engineers are proficient in providing tailored, research fed consultancy services where solutions may not be immediately apparent nor known.
All of our Consultant Engineers are educated to Masters Level or above, are experienced in research based activities and have a very wide range of expertise.
Where exceptionally innovative solutions are required, we have the added value of being able to draw upon the resources and world-renowned specialists at the University of York's Electronics Department.
We can deal with research contracts that are short term (i.e. a few days’ investigative research or development) through to contracts that last a number of years such as the FP7 EU research projects).
Examples of work undertaken include:
- Development of reference noise sources, using comb generator technologies, for characterising EMC measurement facilities and making enclosure shielding measurements; frequency ranges 1GHz – 40GHz. This work was sponsored by Intel and production units are available.
- Development of industry standard noise sources, including our range of Comparison Noise Emitters (CNEs), Comb Generator Emitters (CGEs) and the York Reference Source (YRS) combined noise and comb generators.
Antenna design & development
- Development of the ‘BiLog’ wideband antenna series using computational electromagnetic modelling to optimise the design, validated by measurement. The design was subsequently licensed to Chase (acquired by Schaffner) and now manufactured and distributed by TESEQ.
- Active Receive Antenna (ARA) – an active broadband receive antenna developed in-house by YES and available through our distributors (Link to Products ARA page)
- Passive Intermodulation (PIM) in GSM antennas – a research project looking at the possibilities for localising and characterising PIM within an antenna structure.
- Small antennas for use inside small enclosures - development of credit-card sized antennas for a variety of uses including shielding measurements of enclosures.
RRUK-A Research Contracts
- Piezo-based signalling system
- Wireless signalling (2.4GHz).
- Traction Current Study
- Research into improving the radiated emission measurements from moving trains. This enabled the frequency range covered by EN50121-2 and 3-1 to be measured during a single pass of a train or vehicle. This work subsequently won a National Measurement Award, the IET Award for contribution to rail safety and best IEEE EMC symposium paper.
Certification and technology
- SMART meters in the Home
- Power Line Transmission (PLT)
- EMF in the workplace
- EMF in electric vehicles.
Bespoke electromagnetic measurements
- Measurements beyond the Standards – extended frequency ranges
- Future technologies
- Shielding and screening performance
- Spectrum management and use
MoD and Government sponsored projects
- We have carried out a variety of research activities for both the MoD and Government departments
- TREND Project; research into transient emissions from the railways
- HEMIS Project; research into the EM effects of electric vehicles
Click here or a list of recently published research by members of the York EMC Services Consultancy and Research Department.