EMC, EMF & Safety Assurance Services to the Lighting Industry | Testing | Consultancy | Training
York EMC Services (YES) is an established market leader for the provision of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) assurance services to the lighting industry, offering consultancy, testing and training. We have many years of expertise, experience and a solid track record of demonstrating EMC for lighting projects.
One of our real strengths is our capability, being able to apply our expertise to identifying the cause of EMC problems and devising cost effective solutions.
EMC in the Lighting Industry
The technology used within the lighting industry has changed significantly over the last 10 years as the drive for lower energy consumption has become established. The incandescent light bulb, once the mainstay of domestic lighting, has been replaced by lower energy consumption equivalents.
Unlike an incandescent light bulb, compact fluorescent and LED lighting both have the capability to produce significant electromagnetic emissions ranging from harmonics of the mains frequency (50 Hz) up to tens or even hundreds of MHz. As both lighting technologies use active electronics, they may also be susceptible to external disturbances such as those generated by mobile phones and present on the ac supply.
We offer the following testing of lighting equipment:
- Accredited emissions testing to EN 55015
- Accredited harmonics and flicker testing to EN 61000-3-2 and EN 61000-3-3
- Accredited immunity testing to EN 61547
- Pre-compliance EMC and safety testing to identify issues at an early stage
- EMC remedial fixes for emissions and immunity test failures
- Subcontract provision of accredited electrical safety and other testing services such as light quality and shock and vibration for CE marking purposes and Global Market Access via the CB Scheme
- Radio testing of products with intentional transmitters
We have in depth knowledge and experience of EMC in the lighting industry.
Our experience includes the EMC testing of:
- Street light controllers
- A comprehensive range of LED street lamps
- LED lamps for household use
- Lighting for medical applications
- EMC emissions
- EMC immunity
- Harmonics and flicker
EMF in the Lighting Industry
We also offer specialist EMF measurements for lighting products to EN 62493:2010, required for their CE marking under the Low Voltage (LV) Directive 2014/35/EU (which has superseded 2006/95/EC).
Services to the Lighting Industry
In additon to testing, York EMC Services provides comprehensive assistance to the lighting industry, covering: compliance and regulatory issues, laboratory testing and problem solving:
- EMC Technical Documentation preparation
- Electrical Safety Technical Documentation preparation
- Notified Body assessment of EMC Technical Documentation
- EMC design consultancy
- Fundamentals of EMC Course
- Testing to the EMC Standards Course
- Bespoke in-house EMC courses tailored to a company’s requirement
An exciting year ahead with a new state-of-... Read article
Assurance in Lighting
PDF to download